Recovery of Stolen Acura TL in Philadelphia Leads to Discovery/Recovery of 2nd Stolen Vehicle

  • March 13, 2012
  • recovery stories

On the morning of Tuesday, February 28, 2012, the owner of a 2003 Acura TL discovered that his vehicle had been stolen from a parking space in South Philadelphia. The victim called 911 and Philadelphia Police Radio dispatched a 3rd District Officer to investigate the incident. The Officer arrived on location, interviewed the victim and surveyed the area for the subject vehicle. When the vehicle could not be located, the assigned Officer prepared a stolen vehicle report and had the Acura’s information entered into the state and federal crime computer databases. 

Later that afternoon, Philadelphia Police 14th District Officers began to pick up a silent LoJack signal on the LoJack Police Tracking Computers installed in their patrol vehicles. The officers called the LoJack code into Philadelphia Police Radio and were quickly informed that they were tracking the stolen Acura. Following the cues on the tracking computer, the officers tracked the signal to a series of garage doors in the area of 400 Queen Lane. The officers peered through an opening in the garage door and observed a white 2003 Acura matching the description of the stolen Acura. The uniformed officers secured the scene and notified the Philadelphia Police Major Crimes Auto Squad. Investigators from the Major Crimes Auto Squad arrived on location and gathered the information needed to prepare an Affidavit of Probable Cause for a Search and Seizure Warrant.      

Early that evening, investigators from the Philadelphia Police Major Crimes Unit returned to the garages, in possession of a valid signed and sealed search and seizure warrant for the garage. Once inside the garage, the investigators quickly discovered the white Acura and verified that the vehicle identification number (VIN) matched that of the Acura reported stolen earlier that day. Inside the same garage the investigators located a 2003 Lincoln Navigator, which investigation revealed was reported stolen on May 23, 2010 . 

Both vehicles were confiscated for investigation, and towed to Major Crimes Auto Squad headquarters to be processed for physical evidence. This incident remains under investigation by the members of the Philadelphia Police Major Crimes Auto Squad.